Charges have been stayed against a Calgary woman accused of manslaughter in the 2015 death of a five-year-old boy.

Emilio Perdomo was rushed to hospital on July 10, 2015, with swelling and bruising all over his body. He died five days later.

Loading...

Carolina and Allan Perdomo were eventually arrested and charged with manslaughter in the boy’s death.


READ MORE:
Calgary couple accused in death of 5-year-old Emilio Perdomo to stand trial in 2018

READ  Flames’ Hanifin and Gaudreau have sympathy for Leafs’ Nylander in contract deadlock

Global News

Help us improve Globalnews.ca

It was originally believed Emilio was the biological grandson of Allan Perdomo, but court documents state he’s actually the boy’s father.

Crown prosecutor Shane Parker said Friday the charge against Carolina had been stayed.

“The prosecution against Allan Perdomo continues and he still faces trial in June on the same charge that’s before the court,” Parker said.

READ  Edmonton Oilers host Ducks to close out homestand - Edmonton (News)

Parker couldn’t speak to why the charge was stayed.

“That will have to wait until all the matters with Allan are finished with the court,” he said.

Parker said he couldn’t speculate as to whether the stay in charges would impact Allan’s trial. He added he doesn’t foresee a similar situation happening with that case.

Police said the boy had been living in Calgary for about a year after being sent to the city from Mexico by his mother, who hoped he would have a better life in Canada.

READ  Metro aims to address stench coming from pot greenhouses, Reports

With the stay in charges, the Crown has up to one year to proceed with the charge.

— With files from Global News’ Nancy Hixt

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Manslaughter charge stayed in case of Calgary woman accused in 5-year-old’s death

Loading...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here