Former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould says she will provide “copies of text messages and emails” that she referred to in her testimony last month to the standing committee in the wake of the SNC-Lavalin scandal.
“I do hope my response to the Committee’s specific request and additional information will assist the Committee in completing its study on this important matter and in preparing its final report,” she wrote in the letter dated Thursday to Anthony Housefather, chair of the standing committee on justice and human rights.
Wilson-Raybould’s letter said her submission will disclose “relevant facts and evidence” in her possession that will further clarify her previous oral testimony at the committee and “elucidate the accuracy” of statements made by other witnesses who followed her.
“As such, in response to these requests, and consistent with the standard practice of the Committee of receiving written submissions, I will be providing a written submission to the Committee in relation to matters within the confines of the waiver of cabinet confidence and solicitor-client privilege,” she said in the letter.
The Liberal majority shot down a Conservative motion this week calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to let Wilson-Raybould testify more fully about her allegation that she was improperly pressured to drop a criminal prosecution of Montreal engineering giant SNC-Lavalin.
Wilson-Raybould testified on Feb. 27 for nearly four hours before the committee, having been granted a waiver from solicitor-client privilege and cabinet confidentiality to freely discuss events from last fall — when the inappropriate pressure was allegedly applied — until Jan. 14, when she was shuffled out of the dual justice and attorney general post to Veterans Affairs.
Opposition parties have been demanding Prime Minister Justin Trudeau grant a blanket waiver of solicitor-client privilege and cabinet confidentiality to allow Wilson-Raybould to more fully tell her story.
More to come