Saudi Arabia does not want war but will not hesitate to defend itself against Iran, a top Saudi diplomat said Sunday amid heightened tensions in the Persian Gulf after attacks on the kingdom’s energy sector.

Adel al-Jubeir, the minister of state for foreign affairs, spoke a week after four oil tankers– two of them Saudi– were targeted in an alleged act of sabotage off the coast of the United Arab Emirates and days after Iran-allied Yemeni rebels claimed a drone attack on a Saudi oil pipeline.


READ MORE:
International community raises concerns over possible U.S.-Iran escalation

“The kingdom of Saudi Arabia does not want war in the region and does not strive for that… but at the same time, if the other side chooses war, the kingdom will fight this with all force and determination and it will defend itself, its citizens and its interests,” al-Jubeir told reporters.

A senior Iranian military commander was similarly quoted as saying his country is not looking for war, in comments published in Iranian media on Sunday.

WATCH: Could the United States be heading for war with Iran?






Fears of armed conflict were already running high after the White House ordered warships and bombers to the region earlier this month to counter an alleged, unexplained threat from Iran. The U.S. also has ordered nonessential staff out of its diplomatic posts in Iraq.

READ  Cafe proprietor erects signal begging individuals to cease utilizing her microwave to warmth up their pee


READ MORE:
Trump says he hopes there is no war with Iran — a more cautious tone than his advisers

But President Donald Trump appears to have softened his tone in recent days, saying he expects Iran to seek negotiations with his administration. Asked on Thursday if the U.S. might be on a path to war with Iran, the president answered, “I hope not.”

The current tensions are rooted in Trump’s decision last year to withdraw the U.S. from the 2015 nuclear accord between Iran and world powers and impose wide-reaching sanctions, including on Iranian oil exports that are crucial to its economy.

WATCH: Iran dismisses possibility of conflict






Iran has said it would resume enriching uranium at higher levels if a new nuclear deal is not reached by July 7. That wouldpotentially bring it closer to being able to develop a nuclear weapon, something Iran insists it has never sought.


READ MORE:
U.S. warns commercial airliners flying in the Persian Gulf amid heightened tensions with Iran

READ  Lacking over 20 years: Calgary man reunited with P.E.I. commencement ring

Energy ministers from OPEC and its allies, including major producers Saudi Arabia and Russia, are meeting in Saudi Arabia on Sunday to discuss energy prices and production cuts. Iran’s oil exports are expected to shrink further in the coming months after the U.S. stopped renewing waivers that allowed it to continue selling to some countries.

OPEC and non-OPEC oil producers have production cuts in place, but the group of exporters is not expected to make its decision on output until late June, when they meet again in Vienna.

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, meanwhile, has called for a meeting of Arab heads of state on May 30 in Mecca to discuss the latest developments, including the oil pipeline attack.

WATCH: Trump denies report of plans to send troops to Middle East in response to Iran






The kingdom has blamed the pipeline attack on Iran, accusing Tehran of arming the rebel Houthis, which a Saudi-led coalition has been at war with in Yemen since 2015. Iran denies arming or training the rebels, who control much of northern Yemen, including the capital, Sanaa.

“We want peace and stability in the region, but we won’t stand with our hands bound as the Iranians continuously attack. Iran has to understand that,” al-Jubeir said. “The ball is in Iran’s court.”

READ  Those that journey out storm surge 'do not normally reside to inform about it'

Al-Jubeir also noted that an investigation, led by the UAE, into the tanker incident is underway.


READ MORE:
Once again Iraq caught up in U.S.-Iran tension

The state-run Saudi news agency reported Sunday that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to discuss regional developments. There was no immediate statement by the State Department about the call.

An English-language Saudi newspaper close to the palace recently published an editorial calling for surgical U.S. airstrikes in retaliation for Iran’s alleged involvement in targeting Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure.

WATCH: U.S. bombers reach Middle East in response to perceived threats from Iran






The head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, Gen. Hossein Salami, was quoted Sunday as saying Iran is not looking for war, But he said the U.S. is going to fail in the near future “because they are frustrated and hopeless” and are looking for a way out of the current escalation. His comments, given to other Guard commanders, were carried by Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency.


Saudis say they don’t want war, but will not hesitate to defend themselves against Iran

Loading...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here