A Christchurch businessman who shared a video of worshippers being slaughtered at a New Zealand mosque was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison.

Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as he began killing 51 people at two mosques.


READ MORE:
Alleged shooter in New Zealand mosque attack pleads not guilty

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said that when questioned about the video, Arps had described it as “awesome” and had shown no empathy toward the victims.

The judge said Arps had strong and unrepentant views about the Muslim community and had, in effect, committed a hate crime. The judge said Arps had compared himself to Rudolf Hess, a Nazi leader under Adolf Hitler.

READ  Saint John shaken by one other explosion at scrap metallic recycler

“Your offending glorifies and encourages the mass murder carried out under the pretext of religious and racial hatred,” the judge said.

WATCH: Suspect in Christchurch mosque shooting pleads not guilty in New Zealand court






O’Driscoll said Arps had sent the video to 30 associates. The judge said Arps also asked somebody to insert crosshairs and include a kill count in order to create an internet meme, although there was no evidence he’d shared the meme.

Under New Zealand laws aimed at preventing the distribution of objectionable material, Arps faced up to 14 years imprisonment on each count.

In other cases, at least five other people were also charged with illegally sharing the shooting video. An 18-year-old was jailed in March while the others weren’t kept in custody. The teen is accused of sharing the video and an image of the Al Noor mosque with the words “target acquired.” He is next due to appear in court on July 31.

READ  Paul Bennett Gunned Down In Driveway In Case Of 'Mistaken Id': B.C. Police

The judge said Arps had argued he had a right to distribute the video under the banner of freedom to pursue his political beliefs.


READ MORE:
Christchurch shooting: 50 killed at 2 mosques, 1 man charged with murder

Arps’ lawyer Anselm Williams told the judge that Arps should not be sent to prison.

“It’s my submission that this court needs to be very careful to sentence Mr. Arps based on what it is that he has actually done, and what he accepts he has done, not on the basis of the views that he holds,” Williams said.

READ  Brad Blair files $5M defamation lawsuit against Doug Ford - News

WATCH: Trudeau joins ‘Christchurch Call” summit in Paris






After the hearing, Williams said Arps had filed an appeal against his sentence at the High Court, but declined to comment further.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, last week pleaded not guilty to 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one count of terrorism in the mosque shooting case. His trial has been scheduled for next May.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has helped lead a global pledge named the “Christchurch Call,” aimed at boosting efforts to keep internet platforms from being used to spread hate, organize extremist groups and broadcast attacks. New Zealand has also tightened its gun laws and banned certain types of semi-automatic weapons since the attack.


Man who shared video of Christchurch shooting sentenced to 21 months in prison

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here