A Toronto man accused of recording himself having sex with prepubescent children in churches remains in custody after appearing in court Friday.
William (Wil) Christopher Claveria, 32, of Toronto, faces 22 charges for allegedly sexually assaulting three children in 2018.
At his first appearance at 1000 Finch court, the Crown asked the court to continue to detain Claveria,
He appeared in the prisoner box, blinking repetitively, wearing a green hoodie and jeans with his hands held in front.
The court issued a publication ban on the proceedings and Claveria was banned from attempting to contact the alleged victims or their families.
Defence lawyer Jeff Champman said outside court that his client was doing “just fine,” then added “the same as anybody else in jail.”
Claveria’s elderly parents were in court, but didn’t sit together or show emotion. Nor did they comment after their son’s appearance.
Toronto Police were alerted to Claveria in March after a tip from U.S. authorities regarding alleged child pornography on social media.
Cops claim when a search warrant was executed in June they retrieved devices showing images of Claveria sexually assaulting children and some of those were in churches.
Although Claveria wasn’t a member of the two Filipino places of worship where the assaults allegedly occurred, the congregations welcomed him into the fold.
A detective in the case said earlier this week that the people at the churches were “trusting in nature,” which allegedly enabled Claveria to access the children.
One of the three kids identified in the seized images was allegedly assaulted on several occasions.
Police claim the alleged sex assaults occurred at Jesus Reigns Forever International Ministry, which is located in an industrial strip mall, and the World and Life Christian Assembly, which is on a residential street. Both are located in the city’s north end.
Investigators are concerned about the possibility of other alleged victims.
Claveria’s next court appearance will be July 18.