More than 60 people were killed as they left a funeral in an attack by suspected Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria.

The attack on civilians is the deadliest in the region so far this year.

Loading...

Eleven other people were wounded during the midday attack in Budu near Maiduguri on Saturday, according to Muhammad Bulama, council chairman of the Nganzai local government area.

READ  The Hajj: How times have changed - and what the future could look like | World News, Reports

Bunu Bukar, secretary of self-defence group Borno Hunters Association, said the extremists were on motorbikes and opened fire on villagers.

He added that his colleagues had recovered nearly two dozen bodies.

Mr Bulama said the atrocity was in retaliation to an incident when villagers fought off a Boko Haram attack in the area two weeks ago.

READ  Priest suspended after baby suffers scratches in violent baptism | World News, Reports

Last week Nigerians marked the 10th anniversary of the Boko Haram insurgency which has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced millions and created one of the world’s biggest humanitarian crises.

The extremists have carried out mass abductions of schoolgirls and deployed young women and men in suicide vests to attack markets, mosques and other highly populated areas.

READ  Jeffrey Epstein: Prison experts 'stunned' sex offender was taken off suicide watch | US News, Reports

Their aim is to impose strict Islamic rule in the region.

Boko Haram have broadened their attacks and carried out atrocities in neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

Loading...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here